Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

When There's Nothing Else to Do

There's a school of thought regarding prayer that prayer shouldn't be a last resort - it should be our go-to option for addressing any and every situation. Before, during and after we approach any course of action, we should be praying. 1 Thessalonians 5 in its discussion of the Christian life says, in verse 17, "Pray continually." I don't think Paul could have been more clear. 



Rather than using prayer as a last resort, we should use it as the basis upon we base everything we do. That is, prayer is a channel for action, allowing God to provide us His strength, allowing the holy spirit to guide us, and allowing for grace to abound where we will inevitably fall short. In many cases, prayer should be accompanied by action. Following suit with the "ACTS" or "CHAT" patterns for prayer:
  • Prayers of Confession should be accompanied by a behavior change (true repentance)
  • Prayers of Honoring/Adoration should be reflected in the way we lead our lives (in such a way that honors God)
  • Prayers of Asking/Supplication should be accompanied by action when possible (prayer and freshly baked cookies for a friend going through a hard time)
  • Prayers of Thanksgiving should be reflected by an overall attitude of gratitude (choosing to praise rather than complain in all circumstances)
"Be One" by Natalie Grant expands upon this principle by saying, "Why sit around and wait for a hero yet to come when you can be one?"


In principle, this makes a whole lot of sense. But in practice (aka real life) there are times when we simply can't be that hero, and the only thing we can do is pray. Sometimes this can make us feel helpless, fearful or lost, but in reality it can be (and really should be) a comfort. See, prayer is powerful, and crying out to God in times of need or concern is an acknowledgement that He is greater than our problems, stronger than our human weaknesses, and sovereign. Prayer seeks Him and His plan, no matter where we are in this life, no matter how helpless we feel. 

I got a little taste of that truth today. Driving to work this afternoon, I saw a girl walking along the side of the road. I assumed she was a high school student since the bus had just passed about 15 minutes prior, and I was traveling through a residential area pretty far from my university's campus. As I approached, I saw that she was crying. My stomach felt queasy - I hate seeing people upset. After a few minutes I turned around and pulled over. I called out to her and asked if she was okay. She said she was fine and kept walking. I pulled up closer. 

"Really, are you sure? You don't look okay. You were crying."

"I'm fine, really."

"But maybe I can help! Please? What's your name?" 

The girl just kept walking, her eyeliner smeared. She was definitely a teenager. I was scared for her, just walking along the side of a busy street like that. Anyone could pull over, and maybe they wouldn't all have the same intentions that I did. My heart was broken for her as I remembered the times in my own teenage years that the fear and pain of living in a broken family had caused me to wander the streets aimlessly, wanting to be anywhere but home. 

I sighed, shifted my car back to "drive" and went to work. She's been on my mind ever since, though. Looking back, I'm not sure what I would have done to help. There probably wasn't anything I could have done. We were strangers. We still are, except she has been on my heart all day, and I've been praying for her all afternoon. 

In my position, as the concerned drive-byer, the only thing I can do is pray. But that isn't a limiting factor per-say. Prayer is powerful. Prayer empowers me to submit my own concern to God's perfect plan for her life, and it adds my voice and action to the action of the Lord as He works out His will for my good, her good, and the good of every single person He created. 

See, even though I never learned her name, I can pray for that girl who was crying on the side of the road. I can pray for healing, for strength, and that she will come to know the Lord if she doesn't already. I can pray for safety that wherever she was going and whatever she was running from would be resolved. I can pray that God's will for her life would come to fruition. I can pray. And that actually means a lot.

Christians are criticized for "merely praying" during terrorist attacks, natural disasters, and other horrible events. What many don't realize, though, is that prayer is the single most important thing we can be doing for our brothers and sisters, the best among all "back-up plans," and the absolute most effective way to help in any and every situation. Next time you feel helpless when there's nothing else to do, remember that prayer is powerful and effective, and it's the best thing you can be doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment