Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Radical Grace

Winter is approaching, and the piece that isn't talked about quite as much as holiday cheer is the darker and more depressing side dish to the lack of sunlight.

Depression and anxiety are complicated subjects because the experience is unique to each person. I've struggled with both in the past, and while I found various psychological techniques useful (ie different "healthy coping mechanisms,") none of them "cured me." Barring generalizations, I think this is because my own inner turmoil stemmed from my attempts and resultant inability to reconcile my self-view with my world-view. 

You see, real life is messy. It goes wrong because we go wrong, and sometimes it goes wrong even if we're right. None of it makes any sense, and as we try harder and harder to be perfect, we fall farther and farther from the impossible standards, increasing the level of anxiety with every attempt and ultimately becoming depressed by our own depravity. Or at least, that's what I did. Until I learned about the radical gift of grace (Ephesians 2:8-9), which is sufficient: His power made perfect in my weakness.



Radical grace is recognizing our imperfections and boasting in them, because He alone is perfect. (2 Corinthians 12:9) I am continually incapable of conducting myself in a way that speaks light to others. I make mistakes, but the gift in my vulnerable state is that God alone is perfect. Our faith is in an infallible being.

Radical grace is realizing that we will never reach those impossible standards that we all strive toward, but we are still loved more powerfully than the lock of sin on our lives. (Romans 6:14) Two words: habitual sin. Two (better) words: radical grace.

Radical grace is given, not earned, because we would never be worthy of it. (Romans 11:6) Like any gift, we need to accept it.

Radical grace is shouting, from the tops of our lungs, that we are broken, failed and horribly insufficient, and that we need something more than what we could ever muster from within ourselves. (James 4:6) On our own we are nothing, but with God anything is possible. 

Radical grace is allowing yourself to be transformed from all that we are into all that God has for us. (1 Corinthians 15:10) It is dying to ourselves to live in freedom.

Radical grace is that even when we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8) How powerful is that? While we were still sinners. Not once we repented, changed and became perfect! While we were the ugliest of ugly, the most beautiful creation of God washed us clean with His blood - when we least deserved it. It's the radical grace of God that appeared, bringing salvation to all people (Titus 2:11). How sweet is the sound of amazing grace that saved even a wretch like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment