Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

Day one in a different world

The first day is complete and it has been crazy and intense and naturally, nothing like I would have expected. We slept a little later because we didn't get to our hostel until 3 am. It was a crazy journey and we almost ran over some horses on the highway (seriously). Our driver was such a sweet man though, and was sure to point out landmarks like half-painted cathedrals and government buildings. 


This is Orlando, our driver. He picked us up at the airport last night and brought us to the market in Leon this morning. He is married to a woman named Christina, has four kids and, so far, four grandkids. At breakfast this morning, I told him the story about how I once accidentally called someone's child a monkey, and he thought it was hilarious. ("Que mono" literally translates to "how monkey." In Spain, it can be used to mean "how cute!" I learned the hard way that it doesn't also mean that in Nicaragua.)

Orlando is the first person I had the opportunity to get to know so far this trip. I know Spanish pretty well (conversationally) but it takes a lot of mental focus to discern what someone is saying. Orlando was patient with me and helped me refine my grammar skills, which I am really appreciative for. The language barrier is moreover difficult, but it's such a blessing to see how God united us in conversation WITHOUT words. Laughter is universal in humanity, and it's so freeing to share in wordless conversation. 


Here's a picture of our "living quarters." I feel kind of spoiled. I share a room with my friend Hailey. We have our own bathroom and are trying to remember not to flush the toilet paper down. Sorry if that's TMI, but it's also #truelyfe


This is a poorly framed picture of where we started building the house today. Currently the family consists of a married couple, the lady's parents, her aunt, her sister and her nephews. When we finish building, the married couple will be able to live in the house by themselves, which will be exciting. It's just a little square room, but they will finally have a private place to call their own, so I'm really glad for them. 

It's a strange place to be, where a one room, concrete room in a baking hot country littered with garbage, starving animals and contaminated water is a coveted gift. It's such a juxtaposition to the world I live in for the other 51 weeks of the year, where the poorest people in America are on par with some of the richest here in Nicaragua. That contrasted with the world we are called to live in, so many people in Nicaragua are exponentially richer than the millionaires in America, or at least the ones that know Jesus. I need to remember that. 

My trip leader asked us during our devotional time to consider why it was that God called us here to Nicaragua and what he is doing through us. I'm of course not sure what that is just yet, but I'm trying to remember to keep an eternal perspective. Neither concrete, one-room homes nor stone mansions will last very long, and neither one can give us lasting joy. But the gifts of God give us hope and strength for this life as well as the promise of eternity by his side. So no matter whether I'm struggling to figure out how to build a house, or if I'm studying in college, or working a 9-to-5, keeping my eyes on the giver of life is a good way to follow after his purposes. It sometimes feels like a different world here, irrelevant and inapplicable to my "normal status-quo." But God is the same yesterday and today, in all circumstances, and among all people, believers or not. All I need is a willing mind and an open heart, no matter where I go, and God will use me. 

"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans to help you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Please continue to pray for our team, and especially that we will be able to communicate the truth in Jeremiah 29:11 to the people around us. 

 
This is across the street. Gorgeous, huh? No filter, either. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment