Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

How Much Do You Love Coffee?

In a couple days, I'll be leaving with my team to travel to Nicaragua for a mission trip. God faithfully provided the funds to go on this trip, through which I will be stretched, strengthened and ultimately used by Him for His purposes. 

Looking around at my team members as well as other members of my church who will be traveling for a similar purpose during my school's spring break, I'm floored by the missional framework through which so many young adults are living. There are a thousand excuses to why they wouldn't, "couldn't" or "shouldn't" go out among the nations to impact the world for Christ. It's so encouraging to see the faith of other believers. It's also incredibly humbling and inspiring to recognize how many people gave sacrificially of their own resources to support us as missionaries. Some of my closest friends are full-time missionaries, and the thought of raising support for a salary is daunting to an almost paralyzing degree. Yet, God provides for us through donors around the world. From that framework, it's an amazing process to be a part of, whether I'm going or whether I'm giving.



Mark 12:41-44 describes the story of the widow whose entire savings was two small coins, and she gave them both for the kingdom. Jesus praises her sacrifice, noting that quantity isn't as important as the motivation behind giving and what it means to make a financial sacrifice for God. I have been so blessed by people who have little, allowing me to see how what seem like small amounts are massively impactful for Christ's purposes. Having given from my own "lack of" in varying amounts, I know what it means when one of my peers (broke college kids) writes a check for a missionary, and how beautiful it is when "young people" fearlessly join in on a missional cause.

Sometimes I wonder why more people don't join in. But then I remember how terrifying it is to give away money, to relinquish financial "security," to eat beans and rice instead of steak for a week so someone else can eat anything at all. Then, I remember the widow from Mark 12. Her meager gift of two coins was celebrated by God, multiplied in His name. Small gifts have big implications.

Imagine a world without Starbucks. Nothing against coffee, but if every person in line at the student union waiting for an overpriced Frappuccino gave it up one day a week and donated the $5? Wow. It begs the question: Do I care about God's kingdom more than I care about coffee?

Again, nothing against java, but maybe what's worth more than a latte is the number of hearts that could be changed by someone obeying the command to "go, and make disciples of all nations."


No comments:

Post a Comment